New Power and Water Plant to be constructed in Mirfa

Home  /  News  /  New Power and Water Plant to be constructed in Mirfa

Abu Dhabi Water and Electricity Company (ADWEC) and GDF Suez have agreed to put up a new standalone Power and Water Plant at Mirfa financed at $1.5 billion.

New Power and Water Plant to be constructed in Mirfa

New Power and Water Plant to be constructed in Mirfa

The French multinational electric utility company (GDF Suez) will ensure to bring in water and power from the plant for a 25-year contract which was made under a public-private partnership (PPP) model. The firm is mandated to supervise the building and operations of the plant, which is expected to yield or generate 1600MW of power and 52.5 million imperial gallons or 238,665 cubic meter of desalinated water per day.

The deal indicates that the firm will be entitled for a share of 20% on the project, and the remaining 80% will be held by Abu Dhabi Water & Electricity Authority. The project will be placed approximately 120 kilometer beyond Abu Dhabi and will supply the northern Emirates around year 2016 to 2017.

It is said that a Korean major construction company (Hyundai Engineering and Construction Co. Ltd) will be the head for an EPC group building the plant, together with Italian company (Ansaldo) and a subsidiary of the French electric utility company (GDF), which will concentrate in providing reverse osmosis facility to take care of the seawater.

This is the French company’s sixth development project in the UAE, and this project is expected to meet the escalating demand for water and electricity in the United Arab Emirates.

Mohamed Dekkak